This Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Ireland funded research will develop a framework for characteristing protected oligotrophic (3110 & 3160) lakes under the EU Habitats Directive by a multi-disciplinary research team comprised of researchers from the Marine and Freshwater Research Centre (MFRC), Atlantic Technological University (ATU) Galway City and Roden Ecology.
This project aims to
- Characterise Annex 1 3110 & 3160 oligotrophic lake habitats and their natural variation through physical, chemical and biological assessments
- Evaluate the environmental conditions necessary to maintain Annex 1 3110 & 3160 lake habitats in favourable conservation status
- Assess monitoring methods and assessment tools to ensure compliance with EU Directives
- Recommend a conservation assessment framework
- Propose measures needed to maintain/restore Annex 1 3110 & 3160 lake habitats to favourable conservation status
The project recognises the importance of ensuring that the knowledge generated by our research project is communicated effectively on a continuous basis to relevant audiences for the duration of this project and beyond.
Information will be added on a regular basis to ensure you the reader are kept up-to-date on the latest advances within the project and on relevant information surrounding the topic. Check out our twitter page so you can interact with us – whether it is to answer any questions, comment on the subject or to share information with us.
We look forward to engaging with you
This project is funded under the EPA Research Programme 2021-2030. The EPA Research Programme is a Government of Ireland initiative funded by the e Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications.
Photos: Lough Bellawaum, Mweelrea mountain, Co. Mayo
Photo credit: Cilian Roden
DISCLAIMER: Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the material contained in this website, complete accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Neither the Environmental Protection Agency nor the authors accept any responsibility whatsoever for loss or damage occasioned or claimed to have been occasioned, in part or in full, as a consequence of any person acting or refraining from acting, as a result of a matter contained in this website.